Thursday, February 28, 2008

Little Italy's Last Barber

At the turn of the 20th century, a growing tide of Italians, largely from the south, immigrated to the United States. Out of a population of 14 million southern Italians, an estimated five million left by the outbreak of World War I. Those who left Italy apprenticed stereotypically as tailors, bakers, masons and barbers.

A man named Sal came to the United States during the next immigration wave just before the second world war. He was born in Sicily and became a barber after settling in New York. Today, according to his own census, he is the very last working Italian barber in Manhattan's Little Italy.

A few months ago, needing a haircut, I reasoned that there had to be a good barber in Little Italy. After walking just a few blocks from my office, I happened on Sal's barber shop. When I arrived Sal was giving a haircut to an older gentleman as they conversed in Italian. When it was my turn to take the chair, Sal introduced himself and then explained that the gentleman before me was Arturo Di Modica, the noted sculpture of the 7,000 lb. Charging Bull on Wall Street. When I asked if he cut the hair of other celebrities, he said no because of the distraction of the paparazzi. He cut Robert DeNiro's hair once and that was all it took to establish the shop's rule.

Sal's Sicilian accent is still very thick and it takes all of my powers of concentration to keep track of the meaning and direction of our dialogue. While I struggle with his speaking, he has no difficulties at all with mine. I learned that his grandfather lived to be 105 and died of a heart attack after an argument with his 93 year old wife, who had complained about him coming home drunk! His 85 year old aunt just came over for a two week vacation and insisted on seeing all of the New York sights on foot, despite the January cold. Sal apparently has very good gene stock.

After my first haircut, Sal charged me $15 even though the sign in the shop indicated that the price of a gentleman's haircut was $20. The next time I visited the shop, I asked Sal for a restaurant recommendation -- someplace with great food off of the tourist grid. I figured who better to ask than the man who has cut hair at the same location for over 50 years. Two days later, I visited the restaurant and mentioned that Sal had sent me. Within minutes, Sal was at my table -- having walked over from his shop to say hello to the friend (me) having his lunch.

I now give Sal $20 for my haircut plus a $5 tip. But the money I give him doesn't last long in his pocket. After cutting my hair, Sal insists that I join him for a quick espresso and pastry at Ferraro's down the street. He refuses to allow me to pay.

If you are in New York and need a classic haircut, stop by Sal's Shop located on Grand Street just off of Mulberry. The shop is located directly opposite the Italian Food Center identified in the photograph above. He just might buy you an espresso as well. Fluency in Italian is not a requirement.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Just to update, sadly, Sal the barber passed away a few days ago, October 28 2013