Thursday, November 8, 2007

Running And Spiritual Growth -- Part II



My friend Tom read my recent post about A-ROD and suggested I do a follow up piece on A-ROD's meditation practice, which has apparently turbocharged his baseball talents even further. Unfortunately, despite visiting the superstar's web page and doing a variety of Google searches, I could find nothing on the subject. My searches did reveal though that on the same day that A-ROD opted out of his Yankees' contract, 1960's legend, Donovan, announced the creation of a meditation center in Scotland. A-ROD is linked to meditation after all.

Google also led me to a wonderful interview with the recently departed Sri Chimnoy who built an entire spiritual following based on the dual tenets of meditation and endurance sports such as long distance running. Sri Chimnoy believed that physical feats such as marathons or power lifting were conduits to spiritual development -- somewhat contradicting the premise of my last post. Unfortunately, since Sri Chimnoy is no longer with us in the physical form, I am unable to ask him this question directly.

In that earlier post, I commented that working hard and running long distance were doing very little for my spiritual growth. I'll leave it to you to decide if my views coincide or conflict with those of Sri Chimnoy. link

And for more on the death of Sri Chimnoy, please visit the October 17Th entry of the hugely popular weblog -- Souljerky, produced by my dear partner, Spiros. link

No comments: