Friday, September 14, 2007

Numbers 32.23

I took the train in today and decided to stop by The Church of St. Francis on 32nd Street. If you have never been there, it is worth a stop; the outdoor prayer garden is an urban oasis. On the way in, I noticed a beggar sitting by the gated entrance, his sign said, "Homeless, Handicapped and Hungry." I returned to give him some change on the way and saw that he had left his post -- although his change cup, a half eaten sandwich and personal belongings remained. I dropped my change in his cup and proceeded on my way, having been denied his smile and thank you in return. Perhaps I would be paid back in some other way.

This morning, I was determined to write a story about good karma. I took a pass on writing about GE's environmental push or Honeywell's $8.2 million fine related to the death of one of his workers due to pollution exposure. Or, the Silicon Valley office building known for its "good karma" having housed such notable start ups as Pay Pal and Google.

Later on the subway, I noticed a small pamphlet left on the seat. The headline read, "You cannot sin successfully." It made reference to Numbers 32.23. I am not a student of the bible but a quick google search led me to the corresponding text "Be sure your sin will find you out." While it would be nice to illustrate the benefits of a good deed, 32.23 is an apt summary of Karma.

Perhaps my discovery on the subway was a gift from the beggar -- a small good deed will find you out.

No comments: