Saturday, December 15, 2007

Attack Of The Killer Santa




Beware of the 12 foot high inflatable Santas tethered on the front lawn of your neighbors home. Not just the Santa -- in many neighborhoods you will also find the inflatable reindeer, snowman, Christmas tree, manger or snow globe. I just don't get it. They are billboard ugly. Why would anyone showcase their house in this way?

Don't get me wrong. I'm all for stringing lights on a house or decorations here and there. I also enjoy the hobbyists who spend all fall constructing their Christmas light extravaganzas. But these inflatable displays are all wrong. They have nothing to do with tradition, an eye for display or effort -- it's simply plug in, tie down and inflate. Instant Christmas!

These inflatable decorations are not defined by economic strata. My suburban New Jersey town is blessed with a diverse make-up and these inflatables are on front lawns all across town -- gracing the homes of the rich as well as the working class.

Last night, I saw a giant Santa in front of a multi-million dollar, center hall colonial mansion. The inflatable seemed to be a story and a half high. The scale of the house and the size of the inflatable only made matters worse. More "Attack Of The Killer Santa" than "Deck The Halls..."

I can only imagine what will be under this family's Christmas tree on December 25th. Right now, I'd guess a $12,735 crocodile leather Dopp Kit from Dolce & Gabbana?

No comments: