Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Very Long Distance Customer Care


The Penfolds wine making team travels over 10,000 miles from Australia to New York (and many cities in between) to provide the ultimate in customer care.

Every two years, Penfolds reached out to owners of their wines and offers a free inspection and re-corking procedure for any wine 15 years or older. Whether you have a single bottle or case... of their world renowned Grange or their everyday wine, Bin 347, they provide the same level of care and attention. link

Earlier this week, I had an appointment in mid-town New York with Peter Gago and the Penfolds staff to examine the 5 bottles of 1985 Grange I have stored in my cellar. Grange is a world-class wine noted for its considerable ageing potential -- which can be cut mercilessly short due to a flawed cork. Corks may dry out over time and may need to be replaced. I know of no other wine producer of ultra premium wines which offer this level of service.

My experience with Penfolds this week was remarkable. I had a specific appointment to make sure the team gave my their undevided attention. After examining my five bottles, it was determined that only one needed re-corking. The process was explained to me step by step and my wine never left my sight. I left not only with the wine I brought but with a gift bag from Penfolds including a 10 year old Shiraz, a Reidel handmade wine glass and a book listing all Penfolds wines and vintages with annually updated tasting notes.

Why does Penfolds go to this length? Already known for producing one of the greatest red wines on Earth, it makes sense for Penfolds to invest in protecting the customer experience, brand values and premium positioning associated with Grange. The re-corking service also allows Penfolds to establish a personal relationship with its end consumer - which is difficult if you make the wine in Australia, ship it around the world and sell through wholesalers and retailers. There is a limit to the amount of customer touch one can do over the Internet.

Short-term, the economics probably don't make sense. But the wine business at the high end is not about short term economics. It's about strengthening brand equity and preserving the value of its past vintages. This is measured in generations, not quarters.

Raise a glass to Penfolds and say, Cheers!

1 comment:

Spiros Antonopoulos said...

Nice work. How would I find out more information about Penfolds? Has there been any other press about this campaign? Personally, I'd love to see more links!